BeautyHacker

How can I make my calves smaller?

I am not sure if you are singling me out or not but I am gonna do this op in the January hopefully. I have already consulted with Dr.Park by some emails though.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no problem! I will let you know if mine is reached. Although I only need to reduce 1-2 cm.

According to the previous girls who did the surgery with Dr. Park, some girls still have bowed legs. If you want straighter legs, then I think you can talk to Dr. Jong. He said he will take the whole gastrocnemius out to make the legs look straight, while Dr. Park will remove partial of the gastrocnemius.

Hi guys,

I am so confused now! I am wondering what you mean by "bow legs"! Do girls notice their bow legs from the front or side? I can just see a sea of unknown things about my calves from the front and side both!:biggrin:

Hi ffxlulu!

I am wondering in which position you took your measurement; while you were standing up or sitting?

That may be easy for us to do but not so much for society. Buying tall boots and jeans (especially skinny ones!) is a special kind of headache for any girl who has larger calves unfortunately :sad:

I wish clothing manufacturers would realize women DO have curves beyond just hips or thighs and create garments that will actually fit nicely everywhere.

i seeeee! did Dr.Park send you your visual simulation for your calves?

Hi everyone whats the way to know your ideal calf size again? Is it 20% or 22% of your height in cm? Cause Im 5'4 and thats 162.56cm. My calf size now is 35cm left leg and 36cm right leg.

The circumference of your calf should be 20% of your height and the length of your calf should be 22% of your height.

Hello all, I am 25 days post op with surgery from Dr. Park and would like to share my experience. I flew to Seoul from the US and stayed at Young Dong hotel. I suggest using the limousine bus - appx 15USD - to the metro station and walk 5 minutes to the hotel and take a taxi back to the airport when returning to the airport for your return home. At the hotel I asked for 6 pillows and they did not want to give me that many but I just explained that it was my doctor's request and they gave me what I asked. I absolutely recommend taking your laptop as the wireless is great and there are only 2 channels in English on tv. Additionally, you will probably find yourself not sleeping much at all so take as many dvds or books as you can so you will not be dying of boredom and focusing on your pain.
I came to OZ Clinic on my first morning and had my consult with Dr. Park. He is extremely calm and patient but I warn you, have many questions prepared because he may not cover everything that you need to know in the initial consultation. I had my blood work done at 2pm and had the surgery right after that. I had the spinal or localized anesthetic which was uncomfortable but not terrible. You will feel very strange after this as you will go numb from the toes up. If you ask, the Anesthesiologist will give you propofol to put you to sleep. I woke up in recovery with my bottom barbequing on a heating pad. The first night I did not sleep at all and my right foot was completely numb. I got up every half hour to stretch and go to the bathroom trailing my IV pole every hour or two it seemed. It was painful but by morning I was walking flatfooted more or less. I walked to a grocery store about 5 minutes from the clinic, the nurse was surprised that I could walk that much but Dr. Park did not seem so surprised.
I returned to the hotel and tried to rest but never really slept again. I had all 6 seasons of the Sopranos on my laptop and James Gandolfini was my lifesaving hero at 4am by the 3rd night that I was still unable to sleep, hahaha.
A small tip - I did not stock up on foods beforehand because I had my surgery the same day that I arrived but I pulled the Domino's phone number from their Korean website and convinced the front desk to order me a pizza even though they said that they do not allow delivery. By the second day I made acquaintance with the girl that the front desk and she pulled a delivery menu that they keep on hand. The restaurant had a nice large menu of lovely salads, sandwiches, and pastas. If you are persistent in asking them to check for a menu in their desk and allow the delivery then you will be fine for food.
I brought by highest quality hiking sneakers and with their wonderful sole support they turned out to be the best choice. I began to walk flat footed immediately and sneakers on the second day. The stretches really help but first thing getting out of bed I would hold on to a chair and do 20 knee bends to get my feet flat on the floor and then very slowly go to the bathroom. I kept my feet flat in the shower but marching in place helped because standing was extremely painful. Do the stretches... no matter what, do the stretches or you will stiffen up horribly.
I went to Starbucks next door on the third day and the convenience store but any sidewalk with an incline was murder so I walked correctly and made myself not limp but SO slowly.
I flew home after only 6 days and I had a 12 hour flight but asked the airline for the last 3 seats close to the bathroom and took an overnight flight so I would not be getting in people's way when I got up to walk. I warned the flight attendants that I had surgery and they let me do my stretches in the galley every half hour. This helped SO much because I never stiffened up.
Here is the more difficult part. After the first week, the swelling was not so terrible but my right foot started to have nerve pain and it quickly became acute. The outside of my foot was both numb and with burning shooting pain that was so bad that I was vibrating with it and not able to sit or lie down for any length of time. I stopped wearing the bandage and doing the stretches because the nerve runs the length of the calf and any pressure there was awful. After scaring myself to death reading internet forum horror stories, I decided to do the aspiration more often than once every seven days and after removing 5 one day, then 4 next day, then 3 syringes of fluid the next day the pain began to fade and the next time I tried to aspirate there was no fluid left. Now I am wearing the stockings and bandage together and stretching fine. I can walk uphill and all around with no problems but just try not to overdo it. I still do at least 100 knee bends a day and that REALLY helps me.
My calves look about 1.5 cm smaller now and mostly my ankles swell whenever I walk for more than 30 minutes. I think I will be swollen for many months though because I wore heels once and I looked like I had cankles within an hour.
In closing, I can say that if you push yourself through the pain constantly, stretch, and take your anti inflammatory pills you should be fine. This is a VERY serious operation and you must consider the pain, complications, and duration of recovery if you are committed to this. Dr. Park and Amy are wonderful but Dr. Park is not as forthcoming as many Western doctors so know that he will politely and competently answer all questions but you must be well informed in what to ask. Good Luck girls and I hope that this helps a little bit!

Thanks for your review, bronte.
I am having my calf surgery next week with Dr. Park, too.
Why do they need to place you on a heating pad?

How are you doing ffxlulu?

I hope both of you will heal soon!

I heard that if you take the whole gastrocnemius out, surrounding muscles will grow to compensate for the loss of function. For example, if you take the whole MG gastrocnemius out, there might be compensatory hypertrophy of LG gastrocnemius and Sol to make up for the loss of MG gastrocnemius. The calf might bulge out in lateral side (hypertrophy of Sol) and lateral-posterior side (hypertrophy of LG gastrocnemius). This was on this website. http://www.lrclinic.com.tw/html/front/bin/ptlist.phtml?Category=362147.