BeautyHacker

How can I make my calves smaller?

I think 60 something, which is heavy for me since I usually do 30 lol....I did it for maybe 2 weeks...

I'm doing much lighter weights and lots more reps now...but only on my legs..i dont even do my arms anymore..the only arm workout I do is push up

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

60 pounds for curls?

Significant increase in two weeks, wow, that's amazing.

I've been lifting heavy for about a year and I've gotten smaller everywhere.

A certain amount of testosterone is needed to for muscle bulk and levels vary from individual to individual, woman to woman. Nothing wrong with that. It's been mentioned before that a few woman can bulk up with heavy lifting but the vast majority won't. But building muscle mass isn't permanent, neither is it an unstoppable force. Easy enough (well, not so easy, since it is hard work) to lift heavy until the desired amount of "toning" or bulk is reached and then go into maintenance mode.

I'm of East Asian descent and definitely not genetically gifted for muscle growth. I've had to work really hard and maintenance mode isn't going to be a ride in the park either, but it will be easier than my current routine.

I refer to that site all the time for new exercises.

For calves I find that jump rope is enough plus the residual effects of compound exercises I do for my thighs.

http://www.healthline.com/hlbook/strength-training-for-women
this is another site, actually a book online, that has lots of exercises for women.

I use one of those machines thing...the one where you hold onto the handles and push your arms together, but I only could do a couple of reps...

I wasn't even doing it all the time too, it was more on and off but I did notice that my arms (especially upper arm) were getting bigger. It freaked me out and so I stopped. Now my arms are somewhat normal size, I just do mainly cardio now to get everything smaller.

I think for an asian girl I'm medium built (i'm not 5'0 and 90lbs at all)...but compare to other races then I'm still very petite...I wear usually 0 or XS or S...which was why the increase on my arms were so noticeable to me.

I don't mean to be antagonistic at all. And I'm sure your perceptions of growth were real to you.

But it is physically impossible to gain muscle mass in two weeks, with just a couple of reps... Also, the machine you describe sounds like one for working the chest.

Yeah, sounds like a chest fly machine which primarily targets your pectoralis major/minor muscles...and I agree, a couple of reps isn't going to build mass in two weeks.

As I stated before, I think a lot of body image is in your head. Measure before you start lifting and see where you stand a few MONTHS, not weeks, later.

• 2 months later...
hi ashmi99 - i've been following your posts on your surgery, and would really love to exchange some emails with you about your experience. if you have time, do you mind emailing me at [email protected]? i'm pretty serious about the procedure, but have a ton of Q's. you seem to be the only one i've found who's had it done! thanks! :smile:

Thanks for this info!! I'll have to take a look.

• 1 month later...
hi ashmi99! I really want to get the calf resection done as well. I'm so glad to have found this thread. The only thing stopping me from getting it done right now is the cost and recovery time. How much did the operation cost in total?

I have shapely calves, but they're from doing calf raises at the gym - my husband loves them like that, so that's the way they'll stay! I think that larger, shapely calves are LOVELY. They accentuate the ankle, and really keep your body proportionate.

My only complaint is that Jimmy Choo boots aren't a possibility unless a there's a gallon of cooking oil and a truck winch handy. :graucho:

Why would you ever want sickly stems? Keep your calves, girls!

Hi. Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.

There's a big difference between "shapely" calves and ginormous ones. Those of us who have had the calf surgery don't get our calves from doing calf raises. We're born with them and they look ridiculous when they are twice the size of your thigh.