BeautyHacker

How can I make my calves smaller?

so i've been doing taebo for 2 months, about 3-4times/week. i feel healthier, toner and lost a few pounds but recently, i found that my calves are getting BIG! they are like men's big round calves.

i kind of remember that my former trainer used to tell me that if i dont stretch my legs after running, jogging and etc they would get big.

and now they have.

i do taebo at home, so there's nobody tells me what i'm doing right or wrong. i do my own stretching afterwards (billy blanks doesnt do much stretching in his DVDs) and again, i'm not sure if i'm doing it correctly. i've thought of switching to yoga but it's just not for me.

does anyone have the same problem? or any suggestions?

sorry i'm in a rush and i hope everything i wrote makes sense...

any help/advice is appreciated. :heart:

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really think there's any way to shrink your calf muscles without surgery. (I know because I used to have huge, muscular calves.) All that stretching and yoga, etc., I really don't think any of it actually helps to shrink the muscles, although it's still good for your body.

I wanted to share my happiness about a place I found for wide calf boots this winter after searching for years and I am in 7th heaven! I found them at http://www.WideWidths.com since they sell the greatest wide calf boots! I just got my THIRD pair of boots with an extra wide calf circumference from them and I have NEVER been able to find a pair of boots before in my entire life! They have nice fashionable styles - all the stuff that the skinny calf women are wearing! Their customer service department is great too since they answer you within a few hours and they are very nice and helpful. Every single boot on their site comes only for wide calves so you don't waste your time looking through sites to find out that nothing will fit you. I never thought I'd be able to find a pair of boots for my big legs and I also wear a wide width too (thanks Grandma!) as if one thing wasn't enough. What a great place to shop - you'll love their stuff and they ship ALL OVER - Canada, Australia, Europe, etc.

• 1 month later...
I dont know whether it's from the heels I've been wearing, but my calf muscles seem to get thicker and thicker. thank god i've got pretty long legs otherwise I'd look like an elephant.

Perhaps it is heriditary too, my family have thicker calves. i was wondering are there any ways to lose some of the calf muscles or fat? When I lose weight it's usally the face then boobs then arm and everything else BUT the calf. haha and I don't even go on diets so its impossible for me to have a slim calf. I dont dare running because Im afraid it might "strengthen" it even more. I heard massaging the calf muscles will relax it and putting your legs up on the wall laying on the floor will make it thinner too?

Any products or specific workouts to elongnate the calf or something? =S
thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
I'd make sure you're not getting worked up over nothing. Go ahead and measure your calves and write the number down, then refer back to it a few months down the road to see if there's any change. I think a lot of people's images of themselves aren't always true to reality, but sometimes it is, so measure and see for sure.
Next, running will not make your calves bigger. In order to build muscle, you need to break down the muscle, intake testosterone and protein (among other things), so from the get go, you're behind the curve cause you're a woman. In order to break down the muscle, you need to tear the fibers down and the only reliable way to do that is by lifting heavy weights that cause your muscles to tear and fatigue. Running will not do that. Finally, you need to take in about 1.5-2 times your weight in grams of protein to start building. I doubt you're doing that as well. In fact, the cardio effect you get from running will actually burn the muscle you have since you're not building it up as I listed above.
I'd make sure you stretch regularly as well as massage your calves in order to reduce any knotting and start running. Measure your calves after a month and see what happens.

I also suggest you look at your calves as a strength. I, personally, love the calf muscle! I think it looks awesome in heels and can really give women a stunning look.
And, btw, I run a lot and my calves have not gotten bigger at all. The cardio is good and will help with general weight loss but really will not increase your calf size.
I say, try to love what you got.

I agree with Freddie. (btw can I have a hard candy? :P) Love what you have! I'm sure you look fine and your legs look wonderfully toned ;) Varsity tennis and volleyball keeps my legs in shape and they are muscular and my legs are long. I think it looks really great to have a little muscle. Sometimes I'll be sitting down and my legs look huge to me, but we are our worst critics. :Push: