BeautyHacker

How can I make my calves smaller?

I'm in the same ballpark as you. I have big calves. I used to work on the stepmaster alot, which turned my calves into muscles, then I stopped working out and now they're all out of shape and thick. I hate it and it's embrassing especially when trying on knee high boots and I can't zip up the suckers.

I wear heels to make my calves look more slender but heard pilates works best to lengthen the appearance.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another member of the Big Calves Club here. I think wearing platforms, like Danskos, help. As for heels, the heel can't be too skinny, that it just emphsizes how chunky your leg is, and it can't be too high, because that causes your calf to flex and look larger!
Ashmi - I personally didn't think your "before" photo looked that bad!

Happy80, I'm intrigued! What did you have done exactly? I've heard for a cankle problem they can liposuction around the ankle and calf, and even scrape bone away (ouch!). I'd love to hear what sort of procedure you had :tup: I do love living vicariously through others :lol:

Its all about self-acceptance (just like some of the other ladies have said). My muscular legs are my favorite part of my body. I have strong calves that look amazing in heels and those lovely dancer thighs (you ladies know what I'm talking about)..those thighs that make you look like you could kick anyone's arse!

We do botox in my spa in Southampton, NY- and I would never ever give a patient injections in their legs. If you are really THAT concerned about your thick lower legs I would look into partial gastrocnemius muscle reduction. Look at Nicole Kidman's legs for reference.

alwaysinvogue~ yes very intriguing indeed isn't it? well i got the procedure to reduce my calf muscles... the dr basically removed a portion of my muscle so that it won't be as bulky. sounds kinda dangerous, but i felt like i had no other choice cuz i heard about botox and how it wasn't effective. i was under general anethesia so i dont remember a single thing. when i woke up i couldn't walk since the muscles were not used to it and it took like a day for me to even stand up. but slowly i regained strength and i'm able to walk around a lot better, although not as normally as before. i think its cuz im lazy in performing my stretching exercises like the dr recommended. but i will be able to walk again normally in the next few days! so my recovery is slow, but im starting to see an improvement in the circumference, although i think it takes at least a few months to really see something. sorry so long, just wanted to share my experience with u!

I have really chunky calves too, it doesn't matter how much weight I lose or how skinny I am everywhere else -the calves are still fat :crybaby:My calves are as thick as my lower thighs and tall boots almost never fit :sad:

For me, the shape of my calves kept changing for up to 1 year after the procedure. It is a slow recovery, but it was well worth it for me!

Hi, happy80. I had the surgery at Oz in May 2005. You can read my experience in the earlier posts. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Thanks, however, I am only 5 feet tall, so my large calves made my legs look sooo short. I had the surgery for myself and no one else. Everyone always told me my calves were fine, but I always hated them and was so self-conscious. Since the surgery, I LOVE my legs and wear shorts and skirts all the time. It was definitely one of the best decisions I've ever made for myself.

nicole kidman had done this operation?

hi ashmi99,
im glad to know someone else has done the surgery and loves the results. so up to 1 year after the surgery? that's amazing that the legs can change that much over time. makes me feel a lot better knowing that the results will be apparent over time. i was getting a lil worried...

• 2 weeks later...
I'm new on here, and once I saw this post I had to reply!!

I have the same problem. I have huge calves and can't get rid of them...But form seeing all the replies I sense perhaps pilates may work. I seriously do not want to go under the knife, cause it's pretty costly. Now the only thing is I'm not sure if this is genetics or if it's simply because I have big calves. Just thinking about it, in my younger years my calves were not as big as they are now...So I'm willing to give pilate a try to see if it works.

On a previous post, someone mention doing so raises or rises?? I'm not quite sure what that is...Can someone let me know?? Thanks!