BeautyHacker

How can I make my calves smaller?

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look at Nicole Kidman's legs for reference in terms of someone who has had this procedure? Or someone who has big calves, or little calves? I'm confused...

I'm Korean and my calf muscles aren't large. I have slender legs but I still have muscle on them. Like I said, I played tennis and soccer and I still play tennis. Trust me, you get a lot of muscle from playing tennis but that doesn't mean your calves are going to be huge. Eating unhealthy and gaining a lot of weight would give you bigger calves than any amount of exercise could.. I'm wondering why you think Korean women have bigger calves? That's a little offending...Korean women are usually pretty slender.

I'm Korean myself. It's just a known fact. Do some research online and you'll find that large calf muscles is a very common feature of korean women. When I was over in Korea for my surgery, I would say that 1 in 3 korean women I saw had large, muscular calves. It's also known as "radish legs." It is because of this that they developed calf muscle resection in Korea and predominantly only doctors in that country perform it. You are correct in saying that most korean women are slender. Just because they have big calf muscles doesn't mean they aren't slender.

As for eating unhealthy and gaining weight, that's incorrect. Ask any doctor and they will tell you that most women do not have much fat storage in the calves.

That was just my opinion. I don't fight with people and tell them they are wrong..I respect what you say, I just don't agree with some of it. There are bound to be a lot of people who get offended in a thread like this.

I have been lamenting my short legs and chunky calves for as long as I can remember - I can't believe that there are so many other women out there with the same issue!

Totally agree with everything you've said. I've gone crazy trying to find knee high boots that will zip up past my calves and I've found Nine West to be the best so far.

• 2 weeks later...
ARE YOU KIDDING ME?????!?! My calves are like 16.5-17" in diameter on a GOOD DAY! And I'm 5.5!!

I can't find skinny jeans that go up past my knees because of it (skinny jeans always run so damn narrow from the knee down!)

And I can't find boots that go up around them, but you know what I love my calves!!! Some day great designers will make boots to fit different women!!!

Pilates builds strong, long & lean muscle. You stretch out pretty much everything so it may help. I've been doing pilates for three weeks now and don't see a huge difference yet but I guess we'll see in 5 more weeks!

I'd say both you and ashmi are right. Younger generations are generally taller and have less tendency to have "radish legs." Increase in leg length (due to overall height increase) probably contributed to this, IMO. You'll see "radish" legs more common with older generations who are also likely to be shorter.
I don't know, I lived in Korea before and frankly a lot of women I saw had thin legs. There were only a few that I thought had larger calves... But I do know that it was more common with my mother's generation. Just my 2 cents based on my experience.

not only Korean, but mainly all Asian women (at least Chinese, HK, Taiwan & Japan) tend to have 'raddish' legs b/c of environment & culture difference; all the walking up & down hills/stairs, to sub way, bus stops, school vs all done by driving in states.

I wish my legs are not slim, it's soo hard to find tall boots that fits. No matter how I exercise, it's still 'normal' in US *sigh*

I too have muscular legs from 21 years of Ballet! The only thing you can do really is to cover them!

Only wear skirts that come mid calf (or at least cover the largest bit!) never wear anything that shows your knees.

In the winter - knee high stretch boots are the best (Hobbs do a great pair with wide elastic on each side).

Or trousers.

I'm just going to say it..
Some of you ladies are ridiculous! My calves are big but toned and I think its one of my best features. I can't believe some of you are saying "stop exercising to reduce the size". I would MUCH rather have calves that are shapely than be out of shape and unhealthy!!