BeautyHacker

How can I make my calves smaller?

Hi Gingersnaps99,

I remember we had our operations almost at the same moment of the year (last December); I will be 5 months post-op by the end of the month.

Our recovery processes were very similar too, at the exception that mine seemed slower. As far as I am concerned, once the nurses removed the bandages from my calves few days after the surgery, these latters weren't given back to me; I also stopped wearing the compression stockings 3 months after the surgery, just as Dr Park told me to.

I totally understand what you mean when you refer to the impression of "space" where the muscle has been removed (I have had this very discussion with Marshmallow weeks ago!), besides I have the impression that the remaining muscles are swelling so as to temporarily compensate the "absence".

I try to be as patient as possible, and think of what my legs will look like in a year or two; all I can say for now:

- When I want to wear a dress, I put the compression stockings on... And they really help in making the calves look slim;

- Even if they were gone for months, I began experiencing itchy sensations in my calves and my right heel (I think this has to do with blood circulation/awakening of the nerves)

- I can run but not fast, I walk as before operation.

- My scar behind the left leg is fading well; on the right leg, it looks dark and
swollen.

What about you girls?

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,
I also had my op done last Dec & will be 5 months post-op by end of May. I’m still wearing compression stocking & bandage during the day. Dr Jong advice me to wear them for at least 6 months. When I remove the stocking & bandage, my calves look slim but the size increase a little overnight.

My calves are slightly tight and my right ankle still swell a bit when I stand for long period of time. However, these have no impact on any of my physical activities. I’m doing pilate, aqua aerobics and swimming weekly. I went cycling too. I’m avoiding jogging & high impact exercise for a while, maybe for another few months.

Generally happy with the recovery so far.

Hi Julie88,
I did mine with Dr Jong. He did a great job for me. He and his staffs took good care of me when I was in Taipei.

hi cutesnoppy,

i'm considering the calf surgery. but i'm still unsure to go to Dr. Park or Dr. Jong.

i'll like to know more about your experience with Dr.Jong, with your before and after photos.

personally, i'll prefer Taiwan because of the familiar language and location.
yet, most reviews of Dr. Park's skills seem to be in more favour.

thankslots!

kren :smile:)

hey girls, so i finally completed reading the whole thread, or skimming through most of it anyways and have made up my mind to go through with it with Dr. Park late June/early July.
So many questions but i feel like no matter how many times i read this thread, i'm not going to get answers i am looking for, i just have to go through with it. I have pretty severe asymmetry, or so i think (~1.5in) and i'm so sick of living under pants. Anyone else looking at late June/early July 2011?

Hi Kern,
Can I have your email? I'll send you the photos.

Hi everyone!!! I wish to make my calves leaner with exercise so I've signed up for pilates :smile: right now they are 13" and I'm 5"2 with fairly normal length legs (inseam 31"). I think I look proportional and you cannot see muscles but I wish they were thinner so boos looked cuter on me.

any recommendations? Mine is not muscle related to cutting off muscles is not an option. Thanks!

Hi Girls,

I am about 2 months post-op and my calves ranges anywhere from 0-2 inches slimmer. It really depends on how much I am on my feet that day. Based Marshmellow’s email with Dr. Park, 2 months is supposed to be the time where my calves will be the slimmest. At most 2 inches will only bring me down to just a tad above 13” circumference, I was hoping for less than 13. But on average day at the office, they’re about 13.5” at the end of the day. This is probably bad but I am on and off with the stockings and bandages. The stockings are rather uncomfortable and often make my scar itch.

It’s quite disappointing to hear that the “empty” space still exist for some of you that had the surgery about 6months ago. I am only at my 2months mark and still have a lot of “empty” space, it almost feels like I have fat saggy calves. =(

I initially wanted to wear skirts and shorts for the summer but it don’t look like that’ll be possible. Sun and scars just don’t miss. Besides I’ll just be too self-conscious with the swelling to bother. Although I am glad my calves are slimmer than they were, I just wish they were slimmer by another half an inch to an inch.

For the ladies that has done this, I have a question for you. How many of you’s have a large soleus muscle?

I am asking because I was told on the day of the surgery that I do and that Dr. Park couldn’t make my calves look too slim, otherwise, my legs would look weird. I think they kind of look weird now, they don’t taper and more like cankles. I know those could be contributed by the swelling but I just want to see if anyone else had the same issue.

Anyone with the similar issue? Did it sort of slim out throughout the recover phase?

luvlie21

I have massive soleus muscle too. But I'm only 7 days post-op so I'll have to keep you posted later.

Before the surgery, my calves measured 34.5cm. 7 days post-op, they measure 33.5cm. I'm hoping it'll go down to 32cm (the ideal based on my height)....I hope it's the swelling!:weird:

I felt I had cankles too (due to large soleus muscle), but I measured my ankle and it's 21cm. I think if the calf is 32cm, and the ankle is 21cm, there is still some slight tapering.
Did you measure your ankles? It might be an 'optical illusion'......

Right now, I'm just focused on recovering well! Afterall, the deed is done & all I can do is wait & see the final results.

I have been decided and decided many years about going to do the calf reduction surgery. In fact, already make decision that I will surely do the calf reduction but still don't have time to go there.

Anyways, I would like to know whether you did some calf surgery yet? and with Dr.Jong or Dr.Park?

I am choosing between them. As Dr.Park has many reference and did many surgery operation. While Dr.Jong seem to be very based on the studies basis and look more reliable in some way.

Did you decide yet? I am really want to know too....I am also not sure which doctors I should go to.

However, anyone here can share me some pictures of before & after calf reduction surgery? I am dying of doing this surgery and get smaller calf too......

I noticed that you did some operation with Dr.jong in Taiwan, right? How are the legs now? the calf shape look great in the way you wish?

Can you share me some photos? I am dying to do the surgery. Please let me know your update news.

Thank you so much

Hi Blossoms,

I'm happy with my calves at this point. I'm still having swelling. During the day, I'll wear the compression stocking & bandage. When I remove them, my calves is nice & slim. To let my skin breath, at night I don't put on any stocking or bandage, the calves increase ~2cm each side. Since I'm on my feet a lot, I expect my swelling may take at least 1 year to fully subside. Even with the swelling, my calves looks better than before the surgery. Also the scar behind my knees can hardly be seen.