BeautyHacker

How can I make my calves smaller?

missjess
There was no fluid coming out of my left leg at all:P I don't have a clue why because whenever dr park aspirated the right leg there was so much fluid coming out!

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thank you ashmi! this is exactly what I meant.
I guess i have to accept the fact they will never get so straight again. I must admit I prefer them to be shapeless though. I still hope they will get a bit smaller again.

hello all.. just wanted everyone yo know that I am back home.. for anyone that is interested in getting this done, I have a recommendation and that is, don't go alone. from my experience, I went through so much pain that I cried when I did the exercises and you will find the support to be invalueable.

marshmallow --- give it some time and I am sure you will end up with marvelous results. by the way, at what point did you change from bandages to compression stockings?

i had to change to the stockings after i was back at home for one week (almost 4 weeks post-op), but every time i tried to change to the stockings i experienced the worst swelling and the worst pain in my legs! at this point, dr. park recommended to wait a few weeks and try again. I tried it several times but every time i experienced the same so dr. park told me i could also wear the compression bandages instead. they worked really well - i wish my calves would go back to its "bandages-size".

i'm also thinking more positive now because i experience some pain/fatigue in my calves recently. this could be a sign it's not healed completely :smile: from 3-6 month post-op i did not feel pain in my calves at all, i wonder why now.

Ashmi99

What was your original measurement and then your final one?

Also did you notice a good difference 1-3 months after your surgery ? I'm still hoping my inner bulge goes down a bit I'm liking the felt and back shape but I can still see a little bulge when I look at them from the side. On Wednesday it will be 2 weeks for me haha I still struggle to walk normally in flats but I'm sure that will get better :smile:

I just measured my calves, which I haven't done in years! My left measures 12 inches, my right measures about 12.5 inches. Starting out, my left was 13.5 inches, and my right was 13. I would focus more on the shape of the calves, rather than the size around.

Well my shape has definately changed but I'm just not liking that side view coz it still looks quite big but that might be just the swelling I guess I just have to be a bit more patient. Patience is definately not in my nature haha

Hi Marshmallow. It's been 6 weeks since I had my calves done, and like you I feel like I've had a fantastic recovery. Also like you, I feel super excited as I am loving my "new calves". Now I'm worried that they are going to change. What did Dr Park say?? It seems that people are under the impression that the harder the recovery process, the better the result. If this is the case then my "end result" may not be that impressive either.

don't worry, you are only 2 weeks post-op - they will get smaller soon enough:biggrin:
..but i know totally where are you coming from, patience isn't in my nature either.

Hey Alana
Glad to hear you're recovering well:smile:
I sent an email with pictures to Dr. Park and he answered today:

"Your calf looks great eventhough it is not perfect. Minor asymmetry or irregularity can be happened.
When I resect calf muscle, I don't resect upper portion because it is better for your knee stability.
The upper muscle bulge you pointed is remained upper portion of Gastrocnemius which should be preserved.
As swelling subsides, the contour of muscle becomes a little bit more obvious.
It's not muscle sticking out and it doesn't affect the shape of whole calf.
You don't have to worry about that.
In addition, you should not be too obsessive at your result.
Your legs look great."

OK, his explanation really makes sense, but if the contour of the muscles becomes more visible because the surrounding swelling is disappered, the calf circumference should not get any bigger!?hmm...

What do you think?
i'm going to answer him again and ask him.

Regarding the pain i'm feeling in my calves recently, he suggested to do the stretchings. I did this today at work and i think it helped a bit with the pain. i don't know what my calves are doing at the moment but i feel like a big muscle ache in my calves.

Yes, i get what you mean about the circumference shouldn't be any bigger!! Were your legs quite swollen after surgery? Mine don't feel swollen at all, and now I'm worried. I wear the bandages rather than the stockings which DP said was ok, as when I wore the stockings and measured the circumference of my calves, they were bigger than when I measure after using the bandages. Our legs are the same measurement, mine is 13" when I take the bandages off, now I'm scared that over time they are going to get bigger! Aaargh!!

Ok ladies, i just got a really detailed reply from Dr. Park and i think some of you might be interested as well:

"The recovery process of calf reduction is more complex than you think. I'll try to explain as easy as possible.

For the first 1-3 month, there is enormous swelling and the contour of muscle itself is hided.
The muscle is paralyzed and is shrunken in size.
There is ongoing wound healing process beneath skin and all the tissues are contracted and draw surrounding structures inward.
The incision wound becomes red, hard and raised in this period.
So, the maximal decrease in calf circumference is observed between 2 and 4 months usually.

At 4 to 6 months, swelling at skin subsides and the contour of muscle is revealed more obviously.
So, irregularity can be observed in this period.
The remained upper muscle start to regain its power and the size can be increased a little bit, which can be ignored.
Because there is little remained muscle in lower portion, the shape of calf becomes more balanced.
The contraction process which was observed between 1 to 3 months stops and the relaxation process begins.
The incision wound becomes white and faded in this period.
So, the calf circumference can be increased a little bit in this period.

After 6 months, the skin, muscle will be redistributed and the calf can become smoother.
The tendon portion can be shrunken due to weakened Gastrocnemius muscle and the shape of calf can be improved and the size can be decreased also.

Like this, the healing process of calf reduction can be classified in three stages and your calf will change in shape and size further.
You don't have to be frightened at the little increase in calf circumference.

After surgery, the circulation around Gastrocnemius muscle can be deteriorated a little bit, which causes pain in exercise and sitting for a long time.
The circulation can be improved by itself and the pain will be disappeared.
Light exercise and stretching can fasten this recovery."

I guess even though I'm 6.5 months post-op now, my calves seems to be still in the second stage... but my incisions are still red (not white and faded yet).
This in turn means: in case there will be a third stage soon, my calves should get smoother!? (i hope so:graucho:)

You girls who already had the surgery a year ago or so, could you experience this three stages as well?

Hi ladies. Please try not to obsess over your results! I know it's difficult because you have hated your calves for so long, but just remember it takes a long time. Plus, even though the circumference may increase, they may look slimmer from the front view (which is all I cared about.) Wishing you happy recoveries!