beachybabe Posted September 26 Posted September 26 I wanted to make a simple thread that highlighted some of the information I have found while researching the topic. So when it comes to budgeting for overseas plastic surgery, you have to be calculating for the total cost - This includes the procedure itself, travel, accommodation, and in some cases aftercare. I have found that overall surgery can be upwards of 80% cheaper than it is in the US or UK if you travel for it. Key Cost Considerations: Surgery Fees: Vary by procedure; for example, rhinoplasty costs $1,100–$3,500 in countries like Vietnam or Turkey, compared to $6,000–$10,000 in the US. Travel and Stay: Flights and hotels can add $1,500–$3,500 to the total, depending on the destination's distance. Aftercare: Post-operative medications, garments, and local follow-up visits may cost an additional $500–$2,000. Complications: Managing serious infections or botched procedures at home can cost $15,000–$150,000, which insurance rarely covers. Top Affordable Destinations: Turkey: Best for multi-procedure bundles; saves 60–80% vs US. Mexico: Popular for US patients; saves 50–70%. Thailand: Strong for recovery and medical tourism; saves 50–70%. Vietnam: Low costs and direct flights for some regions; saves 60–70%. South Korea in particular will save you 30-70% depending on what you wish to have done and is safer than Turkey, Thailand, and Vietnam. Financing options for your surgery: Credit Cards: There are some cars that offer promotional zero-interest periods of up to 16 months. Medical Credit: Providers like CareCredit (I have this one) or Alphaeon offer specialized payment plans - usually 6 to 12 months no interest. Personal Loans: Bank loans provide flexibility but include interest rates and I would not recommend them. Clinic Financing: Some international clinics offer internal payment plans or partner with local lenders which is SUPER helpful. Budgeting Tips: Get Itemized Quotes: Ensure quotes include surgeon fees, anesthesia, facility charges, and post-op care as all can vary from clinic to clinic. Plan for Contingencies: Set aside 10–20% of your budget for unexpected expenses or extended stays so you are not caught off guard. Verify Credentials: Choose board-certified surgeons and accredited hospitals to minimize risk, this is always a top priority. Compare Total Cost: Factor in travel and aftercare when comparing prices across countries. 1 Quote
mariemarie Posted September 27 Posted September 27 On 9/26/2026 at 11:02 AM, beachybabe said: Providers like CareCredit (I have this one) This is something I don't see mentioned enough. A friend of mine has one of these cards and you are able to use it for anything medical related. She actually uses it for her dog since he has special medical needs. So you could absolutely use it for overseas plastic surgery expenses! Quote
Gelsomino Posted September 28 Posted September 28 I always see Turkey as an option or recommendation for saving money but I have seen and read horror stories! I would rather pay a bit more and go to Korea. 1 Quote
LupinBB81 Posted September 30 Posted September 30 I have an online friend that went to Thailand for some surgery. He had a good experience overall but after going to Korea for something else, he said he would never go anywhere else. The savings was about the same but to him, the recovery was better on South Korea. Quote
InstaQu33n Posted Thursday at 04:13 PM Posted Thursday at 04:13 PM On 9/26/2026 at 11:02 AM, beachybabe said: Personal Loans: Bank loans provide flexibility but include interest rates and I would not recommend them. Can I ask why you wouldn't recommend this? I have read and seen others not only recommending this option but using it to help pay for their surgeries. Quote
MooMooShia13 Posted Friday at 12:55 PM Posted Friday at 12:55 PM I believe most clinics in Korea will include aftercare visits in the final cost. So you pay for it up front, this way they can do procedures and not worry about delays. I could be wrong but this is based on everything I have looked into and read. I haven't found a clinic that doesn't include aftercare costs. I think they try to do a single bill that covers everything in one go. Quote
kpopkelly Posted 8 hours ago Posted 8 hours ago On 9/28/2026 at 10:46 AM, Gelsomino said: I always see Turkey as an option or recommendation for saving money but I have seen and read horror stories! I would rather pay a bit more and go to Korea. Same here. I am sure it heavily depends on the clinic and doctor involved but Korea seems to have WAY more safety measures and practices in place by law to protect patients. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.