BeautyHacker

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they select a typically Asian looking nose, perhaps you should? :shrugs:

Some Caucasians have rounder cheeks, too (I do!). But again, if they have them rounded in a typically Asian way, perhaps you should? :shrugs:

If I was Asian and a Caucasian did that, I probably would! :biggrin:

From your comments, you seem to think that it is a heady mix of arrogance, ignorance and racism that fuels the comments from non-Asians in this thread.

I think you couldn't be more wrong.

I, obviously, can't speak for others, but in my case (and I strongly suspect, in theirs, too) it is actually a genuine concern for young people, a few of whom may be in danger of making a big mistake, that they may well live to regret.

Like it or not, different races have different bone structures.

If a person (of any race) changes themselves, via plastic surgery, to look like a more conventionally attractive member of their own race; of course nobody, in their right mind, thinks they are doing it to look more Westernised.

But, if a person chooses to change themselves in such a way that they will look, significantly, more like a person of another race (whatever that race may be) - what other conclusion can be drawn? :shrugs:

They may very well not be doing it consciously, but the problem is, that images (mainly from advertising), creep into all of our subconsciouses and some people, eventually, often without realising it, start to think, very, very wrongly, that a more Westernised look (whether subtly, or full-on) is the only form of beauty.

I'm a roundish faced, round blue eyed, rosy cheeked woman. If I asked a surgeon to narrow my eyes and flatten my nose slightly and I wore brown contacts, darker make-up and dyed my hair dark, what would be your honest opinion of my possible (subconscious) motives? :shrugs:

Particularly if we lived in a time of heavily Easternised advertising?

BTW, I'm very relieved to hear that you want to look like an improved, but still completely Asian, version of yourself. :yes:

Oh and a bit of background, I'm British, not American and I've been living with a half Asian (Indian/Pakistani - we call Indians and Pakistanis Asian, here) guy since I was 18.

I think he was just trying to vent, I dont think he was necessarily attacking you and your beliefs. And yea Indians and Pakistani people are referred to as Asian because they are Asian, I think perhaps you are confused because they also refer to themselves as Desi.

Different races may also have bone structure thats similar to everyone else who is well..human. A lot of my family, I'm Chinese, have high nose bridges and BIG HUGE EYES with folds. You gonna call them white now? No they still look asian. Same goes for other races.

Beauty ideals are sooo old. I mean the whole "pale is beautiful" isnt ENTIREly based on the fact that whites think they're superior and have a superior culture, its based on the fact that your face wasnt always in the sun tanning yourelf. So yea, you can be wrong too.

That may well be so, but because I had commented in this thread, about possible Western influences, I felt obliged to reply.

Yes, I know that. :yes:

As I mentioned in my last post, my long term partner is half Asian (his family were from India before Partition and the ones that survived it and their descendants live in Pakistan), so I would have to be pretty daft if I didn't, wouldn't I? :biggrin:

I meant that in the UK, only Indian and Pakistani people are known as Asians; people from Japan and China do not call themselves Asian (presumably, to avoid confusion).

I am not at all confused, thank you.

Until now, I'd never even heard of the term 'Desi'.

Wikipedia seems to think that some Indian and Pakistani people find the term offensive, BTW:

Desi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Why on earth would I do that? :shrugs:

Where did I say that no Asians (in the hope of clarity, I'm using the term in the sense that people from the US use it [i.e. meaning Chinese and Japanese people]) have big eyes, with folds, or high nose bridges? Or for that matter, that no Caucasians have less round eyes and lower nose bridges?

But, even assuming that this trend for cosmetic surgery is not even partially due to a long standing, insidious, Western influence, for a moment; what do you think, originally, made other members of your race feel that they should aspire to look similar to the members of your family? Is that form of beauty the only one that has ever been appreciated in China (and I mean, ever, not just in the last few centuries)?

At the end of the day, this isn't just about Asians - we would all be wise to try to establish, exactly, why we feel the need to change ourselves, before we do and to try our best to ascertain whether we will always feel that way.

I feel we should also try to learn (or relearn) to celebrate different forms of beauty.

Yes. :yes:

If someone is born with a feature, of course they look their race, how could they not?

However, if they are operated on, to remove signs of their race, they, pretty obviously, will look less like their race than they did before the surgery (even if they still look more like it, than some other, unaltered, members of their race); which is often a pity, IMO. :sad:

I don't think most 'whites' think they are superior, or that they have a superior culture (after all, the Chinese and Japanese cultures were far advanced of Western culture, for a very long time).

I didn't say that pale skin automatically equals 'white', did I? :shrugs:

I said I had rosy cheeks (I have fair [even for a Brit] skin). So, I, personally, would have to wear slightly darker, more olive toned make-up to conceal it, if I wanted to look more like an Asian (unless I wanted to look like a Geisha!).

I think one would be hard pushed to find an Asian girl with paler skin than me, particularly when I was very young (and before you say anything, I'm not saying that's a good thing). Until a few years ago, I couldn't even find a foundation, or concealer, light enough; which was very annoying. I've darkened a little, now, which is great.

I think part of the reason I feel so strongly about this subject, is because, when I was younger I went through a period when I was teased for my colouring, as my father came from the North West of England and I grew up in the South East, where people rarely have naturally rosy cheeks.

It took me a long time to not hate my looks (even though I can't be that ugly, as I was approached to be a model, when I was younger).

Incidentally, if I was a racist, why would I care what people of another race did to themselves?

Even if a Caucasian racist did care about this topic, they would, presumably, like the idea of people trying to look more Caucasian; however much that might damage them/potentially ruin their looks.

I am really not trying to be right, or wrong. I couldn't care less about that.

I am merely trying to put another point of view across, in contrast to the propaganda-like feel of some of the posts in this thread.

If that means that I get, wrongly, labelled a racist, so be it.

BTW, as has already been pointed out, much earlier in this thread, by poppincourt, there's something decidedly odd about some of the posts in this thread...

Hey Chloehandbags,
U said: "BTW, as has already been pointed out, much earlier in this thread, by poppincourt, there's something decidedly odd about some of the posts in this thread..."
What do u mean by that? did someone say something wrong? wat is odd?

I would like to clarify a few things here, otherwise this issue will get bigger and bigger. No-one is trying to be racist or anything here. Chloehangbag, I think u may have misunderstood wat Ackileez was tryin to get across, and it is v easy to misinterpret things when reading things online. First of all, if u read ALL the articles on asian cosmetic surgery, 99% of the time, if the writer is caucasian, they r bound to say that asians (orientals) hope to get cosmetic surgery done to make their eyes larger and noses bigger (which is TRUE!) to look more western (WHICH IS FALSE!)!!!! I myself have read MANY articles like, and wat I would like to say is...WAT PROof do these ppl have to say that? they dont! The fact is, of course there will b the ODD few would wd wana look more western, like Micheal J (just like im sure there will b a few caucasians wanting to look like another ethnic group!) but most ppl get PS just so that they look prettier. And for the writers to say that is rubbish! Im sure no white person will be happy if asian writers said white ppl get smaller nose to look asian, will they? cause the fact is, they dont do it to look asian! which is y no asian writer would write that simply cause it's a lie! So ackileez does have a pt in saying wat he said! And the fact that ur not asian, u wont know all the things that ppl say like getting nose jobs to have more western features), cause Im sure u dont watch asian t.v and read asian magazines. do u? Im not tyring to be rude, but I would just like u to understand y he felt that way, and that u wont understand wat he meant simply because these issues dont affect u. But I'm sure ul find that if u read lots of these articles, u will find that they all say the same thing!
U said: "However, if they are operated on, to remove signs of their race, they, pretty obviously, will look less like their race than they did before the surgery (even if they still look more like it, than some other, unaltered, members of their race)"
True! IF this was the reason y asians gt PS, then thats true BUT that is not the FACT! they DONT want to look more western. U may understand y if u have been to china! U c, with 1/5 of the world's population in china, it is evident that ppl depending on which region u come from WILL look V V diff! like ppl fm the east and west, and the north compared to the south! The oriental ppl in UK for example only represent one small group fm china as most of the them come fm the same few cities, so wat u see in the uk, does not represent that ppl are like that in china. I agree that in general asians do have smaller noses and slightly more olive skin, but I DONT agree with the fact that asians have smaller eyes. I agree my nose is slightly small than caucasians, BUt I HAVE V big eyes, bigger than lots of ppl in london! And I have skin that is WAY whiter than ppl here! U see me on the tube, ul see my skin IS the whitest. And a few of my asian mates have really high bridges, just as big as white ppl's. What I am trying to say is.....when most asians get PS, they want to have bigger eyes, like mine for example, and higher bridges like some of my asian mates. They dont want white noses otherwise they wd have to increase their nose like twice the size, and ppl DONT get that dont, i dont think its even poss, cause u wd need a MAsive implant. So..asians get PS to look like the better versions of their race, NT to look more western. Micheal J may be one of the few ppl who DID wana look caucasian, but asians dont! So when we hear ppl say or read articles where they say asians want to gt PS to look more western, thats's completely rubbish cause if u survey these ppl, i can guarantee that they'll say they wana do surgery to look better, to have features that resembles prettier ppl fm their ethnic group, but they r not gona say they wana look white! I hope u see where I am coming from Chloehandbag. :biggrin:

Hey Cloehandbag!
I know what u were trying to say erarlier about what poppincourt had said. Well, i think if these ppl were really wanting to gt PS, they shd post something here so that everyone can read it, this way, ur not gona give ur email add away! :biggrin: I mean, if u're gona share a room (in hotal) with someone, its best u SEE them first in person! u never know,...they cd say they're a girl, but end up being a guy! :biggrin:

Hope all is cleared up now .. man that was some discussion there!! Just to let you know I have emailed the Oz clinic (omg they reply soo fast and so friendly - def thumbs up for fast info!) He told me to post a pic of myself so he can give me a better consultation.. sounds good.. have any of you girlies posted him a pic yet?

Umm..ok? Its weird...so you have to.. speak up about it. Yea sure, nothing wrong with that. *TRANSFORM INTO REALLY GROSS GREY BUG EYED 8 FINGERED 6 LIMBED ALIEN* Uiuhfdsjhk!!! YIHJKHJK!!! ...*cough cough*... I mean... Ahem, just ..clearing up some phelm.

wow what a read.People will have their share of words not[SIZE=-1]necessary[/SIZE] something youll agree with,but whatever.lets move on !

hey meowgirl,how was the online consultation?what is that you want to have done /or hoping to achieve?

ladies,what is that you want to have done?in my case-higher bridge/define tip/rise nostril.