BeautyHacker

Any opinions on ITEM CLINIC?

Oh and I forgot to mention Item didn't budge on price at 1,320,000 krw for partial incision BUT when I got there she told me the price went up 60%! However since I confirmed my surgery before the price increase, I got the old price.

Be aware that all Korean clinics can easily increase the price due to market supply and demand and popularity on these sites as she asked where I got my info about Item plastic surgery and whether it was from Purse Forum. I also told her about another forum and she wrote the site down, so these Korean clinics are well aware of the praise they're getting on forums

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so I've got to retract this, as the English interpreter replied me with a response to my emails and she was friendly and nice as she was before. Raina is great, but I definitely think Item plastic surgery is getting super busy as while I was waiting there were tons of Singaporeans (? Not sure) and defs lots of PRCs! Everyone spoke mandarin in the waiting room, and I've heard about china's plastic surgery tours to Seoul so this could be why prices are continually going up.

Anyway, I'll post pics of my progress in a few days, just wanted to clear the air in regards to this post! Perhaps I was too impatient and waiting 4 days for an email response when they're super busy was unreasonable of me >.<

brklyngirlnyc- ur nose looks amazing!! I never considered doing my nose at item but now I'm thinking about it. Did you get much time with the doctor during ur consultation? Keep us posted on your healing :smile:

They've tons of Singaporeans because their Regional Marketing Manager is a Singaporean who used to work for BK Dr Kim Byung Gun.

She later went to set up ITEM with 3 of the doctors from BK. Their prices are rocketing!!!

Ok so here goes my really super long review because its my turn to give back to this forum. I know how many people lurk and then get their info and never contribute after but I wanna help people just like I've been helped. I encourage lurkers to post their experiences after. And thank you to all that have posted in these forums as it really helped me and I hope my experience helps you some way too.

ABOUT ME:

I have natural double eyelids with a medium-high crease. my eyes were nice but started triple folding or single folding out of the blue. 3 years ago I woke up with a single lid on one eye. One eye would always become a single or triple 2-3x every week from that day on but it wasn't always the same eye, it was sometimes left or right. Weird. I lurked for years debating about surgery..

RESEARCH:

i researched online here and on another forum starting with a "S". I picked a few clinics catered to foreigners (English translators & websites). I emailed all of them photos of my eyes and asked what procedure they would recommend:

1) Grand replied the quickest (1-2 days) and quoted 1.7M to 1.96M krw for their natural adhesion method (non-incisional). They were a contender except this was the time when they had someone DIE from their double eyelid surgery so thank you to whoever posted that article and translated it from Korean here as I was going to consider them but I didn't right after that post! Try searching it using the search function as I can't find the post now

2) ITEM replied in 4-5 days by Dr. Kim who quoted me partial or full incision, and explained the problem areas of my eyes and said he wasn't sure which method until a face to face consultation to be sure; their price for eyes was the lowest of the clinics I narrowed down here. I also really liked Dr Chung's work after reading sponsored bloggers (Hui Rong, Peggy Heng) who had seen him and their eyes looked great

3) VIP never even replied me (grr!!) but replied to my friend and I can't remember the costs she told me they quoted her but what turned her off was how many procedures they were pushing for her to do and since VIP didnt bother to reply me at all, they were off my list.

4) Regen replied but even though I sent photos and questions, they wanted me to fill out a form/survey to have questions answered or recs made, so I just said screw it. What made me choked was the email they replied me with was super long but when I read it, it was all about how they have a state of the art facility with this and that, blah blah blah.. None of the massive email reply was actually about my questions or eyes but the one blurb saying "please fill out the below". Wtf lol. No. Just no thanks

5) Banobagi took the longest to reply (1.5 weeks!!) but quoted me 1.6M to 2.09M krw for their double embedding (non-incisional), and also $500 (USD?) to book a surgery date. My leading choice before emailing all of them was actually Banobagi because I liked the surgeon's work on the website but them taking so long to answer was off putting

Conclusion - I booked my surgery with ITEM. Note though ITEM wasn't the fastest at replying, typically 4-5 days, but they were the most detailed in their response

CONSULTATION:

The English consultant told me if I got there by 5pm I could have surgery the same day. So I paid a taxi from the airport to get there (70k krw so approx $70!) but do not do that if you're not in a hurry. Taking the subway for $4-5 is so quick and easy, but because I was in a hurry I did it. We had the consultation and Raina is great, she explained the different folds and different creases (tapered vs parallel). She's good at what she does, thorough, listened to my concerns and answered my questions without rushing me, and gave me very detailed info. I decided on an outfold and parallel crease. We were going to book the surgery when I asked "am I having surgery with Dr Chung?" She said no and I was so sad. She showed me the other surgeon's work but I wasn't interested and didnt really check the pics as I had my heart set on Dr Chung but he was all booked up for surgery! luckily she booked me in for the next morning, which I was fine with as she squeezed me in between consultations. So thank you Raina!

SURGERY:

They make you change and wash your face and I was able to meet Dr Chung for a consultation. There is something about Dr Chung that makes him instantaneously likeable...his friendly eyes, nice smile, calm demeanor and really good bedside manner. When he talked to me, he mostly listened and he actually has perfect English. he made a fold to show me. Disclaimer: my eyes are already large so the high creases I showed him were okay for my face. My friend wanted high creases too but he said no to her as she has very fine features so the high creases didnt suit her face and he was honest enough to tell her. So whatever creases you want, make sure it suits your face!

So into the surgery I go after that. I was so frikkin nervous my heart rate was over 100! Raina the English consultant stayed with me the entire time since I was such a chicken about the surgery lol. She comforted me by holding my hand and rubbed my tummy which I thought was nice of her, bless her heart. She even tried to make me feel less nervous by saying that in Korea, double eyelid surgery isn't even really considered surgery. I appreciated her efforts but I was scared because I read on these forums that the EYE SHOTS would hurt.. Thank goodness at ITEM they don't do eye shots while I'm awake!! The surgeon actually gave sedatives and I fell asleep (and weirdly it's the same dream some described.. sliding down and very colorful) and when I woke up, the surgeon came back in and said the surgery would start. I'm guessing after the sedatives and I was asleep they put the shots in my eyelids so I wouldn't feel pain. So you're awake during surgery and feel the stitching and tugging. He was so good in English and conversing that I completely wasn't thinkig about the surgery. And when he was done, I was shocked at how quickly went. He asked if I wanted to see the results. But in no way was I prepared for this. Trust me you can read what I'm saying and think you'll look bad but I'm telling you, whatever you have in mind, make that image x 100000000! I looked so bad. I looked so bad I actually told him to please take the mirror away because I was scaring myself and he laughed, but I was really really gross.

POST OP:

I went home to rest but went out the day after, on day 2 (as surgery day was considered day 1 by me) and explored the city every day after that. I slept elevated and took Arnica pills (Sinnech brand) and Bromelain pills. I can't tell if they worked as my friend didnt take any and her rate of healing was the same but her results were also more conservative than mine. I believe the higher crease you go, the more swelling you will have. also you're not supposed to take blood thinners like aspirin 8 days before surgery as it could cause complications and in some research findings they say bromelain CAN act like a blood thinner so... I don't know? You decide if it's worth the risk, use google to research

post op tips:

- if exploring korea do not tip taxis or restaurants as I didn't know; the servers stare at you like you're an idiot when you do lol. Their service is impeccable for a country that doesn't tip. Makes me wonder why I tip with mediocre service in my country..

- Bring sunglasses and those thick rimmed glasses. I scoured so many stores but they're not easy to find in korea. buy a pair and bring it there and you'll thank me so you won't be stumbling at night with sunglasses on

- wear a maxi dress to surgery so you won't fumble with skinny jeans/buttons after

- don't panic!

STITCHES OUT:

My stitches were out by day 4 and it didnt hurt although I read on forums that stitch removal hurt. But it didnt! Anyway Raina was great, the nurses were efficient, and Dr Chung even came by to say bye and looked at me and reassured me that in 2 weeks I will see full results as I complained at how swollen I was still. He said I could always contact them in the future any time if I had questions or issues which I really appreciated. He's got great bedside manner, just a good kind doctor, you can just tell. So when I got home and was nervous at how swollen I was, I emailed them and expected a response within 1-2 days but when I didn't receive it, I posted here complaining but in retrospect, their average response time was always 4-5 days via email and I don't know why I expected sooner but I shouldn't have, and I'm sorry I thought ITEM was ignoring me now that I was gone, but they were not. Sometimes when you're nervous or freaked out, you react instead of THINKING logically. I see how foolish I was now -_-;; so again, don't panic!

I wore eyeliner on day 7. When I close my eyes you can kinda see the line but it really just looks like a crease line. The more swollen one has a more obvious incision line maybe because he took more skin off of that one?

I can finally PM but if you didn't read my post and PM'ed me something I already answered then I'm sorry but I'm not going to reply as I just took 2hr to write this and I'm going to be upset if you ask me something without reading. Just saying.

PHOTOS:

1) Before pic with lashes & eyeshadow (no eyeliner)
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1398933579.795112.jpg

2) After surgery at home (bruising on one eye)
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1398933589.886984.jpg

3) Tonight at post op day 13, one eye more swollen (left) than the other
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1398933605.055100.jpg

4) Yesterday with eyeliner and lashes (no eyeshadow) post op day 12. My eyes look like my before pic but with deeper creases. My friends & parents love them but I'm still getting used to my new eyes although I do love the results! Thank you ITEM!
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1398933739.593181.jpg

I highly recommend ITEM for eyes with Dr Chung but I can't speak to the other surgeons or any other surgeries but always do your research, I researched for years!

And their clientele is all mandarin speaking. I was shocked that all the operation room nurses spoke Korean AND mandarin but not English

I did partial incision :smile:

I think you can't go wrong with either clinic, I'm just really happy with my results!

Honestly I'm not sure. I think you should send the pics you want your eyes to be and ask. The pics I saw seemed to be of Korean girls and the consultant said that in korea people go for low or low-medium creases as they prefer the natural look. I would say see what they reply and go with your gut feeling! There's no harm in just emailing your pics to see what they say. Plus it's free to ask =P

Whats including in the surgery price you paid? Medication? I heard they have de-swelling devices for purchase. did you buy one or did they give you?? Just wondering...

They gave 2 packs of pills I think antibiotics? And a nice pack/gel herbal eye mask

I am planning to receive a consultation in ITEM on coming this June. I also going to visit 6 other hospitals include JW (this is my choice and other 5 are introduced by Korean lady. she told me all the native Korean go these clinics so I am kind of curious if it is good? maybe she is receiving a commission from the clinics...otherwise why she wants to go with me? this lady was introduced by my host mother i met thru Airbrb... anyways, I will go soul and see...

Hi i am new to the forum. I have just did my eyes with Dr Chung as well. For those who have already done the eyelid surgery, can I ask if Dr Chung drew your eyes to ask for your satisfaction before going to the surgery room? For me, he only draw after I was injected the anesthesia where he did not even show me what he drew and shortly I have blacked out.

Im at 2 weeks post op and the crease isn't what I want and I am so depressed about it now.

I'm sorry to hear that! No I went and when he drew it I was already lying down but I showed him lots of photos and he showed me the crease height using a toothpick before I went into the operating room. What do your creases look like now?