BeautyHacker

Gotcha! Thank you!

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, i think $2000 is maybe a little too cheap.. or maybe its because its in taiwan??

So how do you like the height of the bridge so far? Do you find it too high right now or do you like it where it's at and hope that it doesn't go down. I like the height looking face on, but from the profile, it looks too high. I hope in 2-4 weeks, it will go down some.

Hi mkyru,

I have the EXACT same problems as you!! Exact same scenerio to the degree of being a bit scary. I am very nervous about the final outcome as well.

The procedures that I have done 8 days ago in Korea are:

-alarplasty to reduce width
-osteotomy (bones broken to narrow bridge)
-tiplasty to make my tip smaller
-augementation to make bridge higher.

I did a lot of research and found Dr Jung in Korea who was prominent in the field. I saw his before and after photos and the results seemed very impressive and extremely natural. Plus, he got some raving reviews from forumers. So despite the higher fees I decided to go with him.

The most i am concerned about is the bridge height. During the pre-op consultation with Dr Jung I made my point VERY clear that I don't want a high bridge, although my original nose is not high (in fact quite flat), I didn't want it higher. I was ok not to have any augmentation at all. I just wanted a more narrow bridge and refined tip. Dr. Jung replied that in order for the nose to look longer and a bit more natural, he recommended minimum goretex inplantation of 1.5 mm. Since the height goes down after a few weeks, the 1.5 mm was barely visible by other people, he said. The norm for most augmentation is 3 mm. After hearing his explanation and I completely trust his professional advice, I decided to have the 1.5mm increase.

Until 5 days post job my swelling and bruising was so bad that I could barely recognize myself. The area beneath my eyes were completely black and my head were very swollen. I could NOT open my eyes. My face was entirely swollen not only my cheeks.

When the splint was removed at 5 day post op, my reaction was the same as you-- I freaked out completely!! The height of the bridge was too high, the width of the bridge was wider than before and my tip was almost 120% the size of my original tip. The alar didn't seem to have narrowed at all. In a nutshell, my nose almost doubled in size than before. I completely freaked out! It was completely opposited than what I wanted!

After seeing me freaking out, Dr. Jung and his team assured me the swelling condition is temporary and that it will go down in two weeks. The nose will definitely be smaller with the bridge narrowing first, then decrease in height, lastly tip will get smaller. I was very concerned about the very unatural height increase, from the look of it it was more like 10mm than 1.5 mm. Because of my south asian features I look now more euroasian than anything else. I hated that and was quite depressed.

So, today is my 8th day post op and I still have substantial bruising and swelling. The bruising I don't worry about at all. It's the swelling that made my nose promenient. I don't want a tall nose. What Dr. Jung had told me is that it is very common in the first 4 weeks to have a higher than normal bridge because of swelling. The swelling will subside for 4-6 weeks to be completely gone.

So mkyru, in your case I hope that your cheeks will get better, I am sure the swelling will go down. As for the height, Dr Jung was pretty confident that it will decrease in a few weeks. He said 1.5mm goretex was next to nothing at all and my condition now is attributed to swelling. I am keeping my fingers crossed for you and for me.

I guess for anyone who had major nose work done like me and mkyru, the recovery process is naturally slower and it pays to be patient.

Worse case scenerio if I really hate my bridge, I will get a revision surgery but I doubt that I'll have to do that. I guess we just need to be patient to wait for further swelling. May I ask how much inplant did you get with your bridge?

I'll keep you posted of my recovery. Please keep me posted.

Can anyone who had major nose job please share their experience? At this stage I (and mkyru) really need some assurance now...

Thanks

To the girls that have already done their nose surgeries and/or eyelid surgeries:

Is it safe to go out into the streets (with sunglasses on, of course) on the THIRD DAY (have surgery on Sunday and be out no TUESDAY) after surgery?

Please share your experience- for the ladies that had their surgeries in Taipei, how many days did you wait before you went outside??

Thank you ladies!!!

Actually, I never asked about the size of the implant on the bridge. It has narrowed significantly, but like you, I feel my bridge from the profile is too high right now. It was really scary seeing the bridge so wide after the cast came off. My whole face down to my jaw was super swollen after the surgery. While I was swollen, I looked Latino. Now my friends tell me I look White. I actually don't mind looking eurasian, just as long as it looks good and natural-looking. I feel so self-conscious when I'm out in public and worry that people are thinking I had bad plastic surgery. I notice that I get alot of looks from other Asians.

I actually like how the tip is turning out. Yesterday, I noticed some definition starting to show. Since the surgery, it was just as bulbous as before from all the swelling.

I just started using warm compresses as I was told it speeds up the healing and also helps with any swelling. It's also quite relaxing.

How are your Alar scars healing up? I kept getting white-heads on one side. I couldn't help but to try to squeeze them gently. Some pus came out. I hope that I didn't ruin the scar from doing this. I also started using Mederma scar gel on them.

My ear is still sore and slightly bruised. From the back, it looks kinda deformed but I'm sure it's because it's still a little swollen.

I think both of us shouldn't worry too much. We have gone to reputable doctors who know what they are doing and have to experience to know exactly what size implants are good for our noses and facial symmetry. It's comforting to know that I am not alone in feeling and looking this way. Going into the surgery, I never knew recovery would be this traumatic and stressful but I hope in the long run, it will all pay off.

One thing that works wonders for me is the moldable splint that was given to me by Dr. Jung. It softens in hot water and hardens very quickly out of water in normal temperature. I wear it for a few hours each time when I am at home. Right after I remove it I see that my nose is considerably smaller and very defined. Though my nose swells again if I don't wear the splint (which is normal as my face is still very swollen), it gives me a good idea what my nose will look like when all the swelling is gone. This gives me great reassurance.

On the other hand, I find that both hot and cold compresses helps with swelling and bruising. I alternate using them.

Also, I researched that taking vitamins such as Omega-3, Vitamin E and C helps with healing inflammation so I am taking them religiously now.

As for my alar, I must say that Dr. Jung did an excellent job. It's healing extremely well so it's the last thing I worry about. The scars are negligible now. My ear is swollen and bruised in purple still but it doesn't hurt that much. I am covering it with my long hair so I hope other people won't see.

By the way, since you have alar reduction surgery, do you feel that the area below your nose (on top of your lip) hurts a lot? It hurts a great deal for me to smile and Dr. Jung said I can restore my full range of motion in 3-4 weeks.

I completely agree wth you when you say that recovery is unexpectedly traumatic and stressful. When I looked at the doc's site "before and after" photos I only saw how beautiful the outcome is and totally neglected the trauma in the recovery process. Now, the only thing I can do is to be patient.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me the difference (in facial structure) between Chinese, Korean, and Japanese women? Because I am Chinese but people keep telling me I "look Korean" and I'm not sure exactly what that means!

I also went online to search for Chinese, Korean, and Japanese actresses to see if I can tell the difference and I still don't think I can. Also, I'd like someone to explain to me the difference in their aesthetics and their standards of beauty - is there a difference between what the Chinese consider to be a beautiful woman versus what the Koreans/Japanese would think?

My splint came off prematurely at day 5. It must be because I have oily skin. It just slid off. It's the same kind that Dr Jung gave you. My doc said it was fine that the splint was off and that I didn't need it anymore. Some doctors recommend taping the nose to reduce swelling but mine didn't suggest me to do anything.

I think I read somewhere that cold compresses help up to 1 week after surgery. Then hot/warm compresses are recommended to improve blood flow and speed up healing.

My alar scars just had a slight sting. I couldn't smile because my upper lip was too stiff to move. I think I can fully smile now at Day 20. My nostrils still feel stiff though.

Here's are a couple links regarding healing and recommended supplements. I heard that Vitamin E should not be taken until at least 3 weeks after surgery. Vitamin K is really good to take as it helps with healing.

http://www.beautysurg.com/learn/general_healing.html

This link is to a great site with products related to plastic surgery recovery and also a very informative message board that is organized according to procedure. I used the Vitamedica Pre and Post-Op Plastic Surgery Kit which does not contain Vitamin E.

http://www.makemeheal.com/mmh/product.do?id=13517&procid=10&catid=239

mkryu, thanks for this very useful information on healing. I checked out both websites and found out that I should stop taking Vitamin E right away. I must have gotten it mixed up with some other nutrients. Are you currently using Arnica Montana pills/ cream or applying vitamin K cream? My de-swelling and de-bruising process is very slow compared to others. Even Dr. Jung said my bruising was very serious compared to other patients. I am now day 9 in my recovery and still have extremely obvious purple marks under both of my eyes. Can you tell me how many days exactly for the purple brusing to disappear from your face? My first mistake: not using a post-op kit. :sad:

I hope your bridge height will adjust to your expectation soon. Perhaps its useful to find out the degree of height increase from your doc to get a more realistic expectation?

azngirl, your nose is fabulous! I definitely see the height increase and tip refinement. You mentioned that you had alarplasty too, right? Your new nose is one of those model noses for the doc's advertising. Congrats.

By the way, at two weeks post-op I don't notice you have any residual bruising/swelling. My recovery speed is painfully slow. Are you taking any special vitamins to reduce your brusing and how long did it take for the purple marks to disappear?

Thanks

I started taking the vitamins 2 weeks before surgery, bromelain 3 days before surgery, and the Sineech Arnica Montana 1 day before surgery. I didn't have much bruising only small purple patches on the upper and lower eyelids. My eyes had mostly yellow/green bruising. I think the bruising around the eyes went away in about 1.5 - 2 weeks. The bruising migrated down onto my neck and upper chest eventually. As of today, Day 20, I don't see anymore discoloration on the neck/chest. With the bruising, it really helps to use warm/hot compresses at least 2x a day for 15-20 minutes at a time. I got the gel pack that you put in the microwave for 30 seconds.

I continued taking the vitamins as instructed for 2 weeks following the surgery along with the Bromelain. I'm still taking Bromelian and Arnica pills. I have also been using Arnica cream (switched to the greaseless gel later) and Vitamin-K cream along with Vitamin K supplements.

Did you take any Arnica before or after surgery? So many people recommend it and swear by it. I was surprised that I didn't have much bruising as I had expected. Bromelain should be taken on an empty stomach because if you take it with food, it acts more like a digestion aid than an anti-inflammatory. Oh and one more supplement I added was Grape Seed extract as I read that it helps the body's uptake of Vitamin C.

Remember, no alcohol, salty or spicy foods while your are healing because these things cause swelling. Summer is approaching and we want to heal fast so we can go out and show off our new looks rather than hide indoors.

The first week after my surgery, I could barely open my mouth or chew so I bought some whey protein powder to make shakes as meal replacements. I then find out that protein helps with the healing process. Here's the article and the direct link:
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]How Can Protein Shakes & Powders Benefit My Healing Journey?[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The protein shakes and powders featured in the Store can be beneficial for post-surgical wound healing. Healthy skin is dependent upon an adequate supply of quality protein sources to build collagen and elastin. This is especially true after surgery, when the body's requirement for protein is elevated, in order to restore dermal and epithelial elements needed for optimal wound healing. Protein shakes and powders can help improve healing by providing much-needed protein.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]http://www.makemeheal.com/mmh/product/anti_aging_supplements/protein/index.vm?procid=15&catid=817
[/FONT]

I just bought the Designer Whey protein powder they had at the Whole Foods Supermarket. It was quick and easy to drink plus it didn't matter to me what I put in my stomach since I didn't have much of an appetite for real food for the first 4 days.